Everyone wants healthy and beautiful skin to have an attractive personality. But this amazing skin comes with a strict skincare routine.
You should have a healthy skincare routine that targets problematic areas of your skin and keeps it away from any type of toxin.
But with a bunch of skincare products on the market, which one should you buy? Which one should be suitable for your skin type?
According to Ashley Magovern, a dermatologist, there are three steps in building the best skincare routine.
These three steps are:
- Toning (Treating)
In this article, we will discuss these three steps and tell you which type of skincare product will be best for your skin.
So, let’s dive into it.
Step 1: Cleansing
The first step is to rinse and clean your skin from any pores or harmful products. Daily, our skin comes into contact with dust and other harmful products that can harm our skin. So, the first step is to clean your skin from all these types of harmful products.
But, Dr. Magovern has also made it clear that we shouldn’t use harsh cleansing products as they can strip our skin of oil and harm its layer.
It is recommended to wash our faces twice a day, in the morning and the evening. But if your skin is full of acne and is sensitive, you should only rinse your face with clean water in the morning and clean it in the evening.
You should use exfoliating scrubs only once a week and avoid those scrubs that have abrasive ingredients and crushed walnut shells.
As every skin type is different, you should use skincare products carefully. Here are the types of cleansing products for various types of skin:
- Oily or Acne Skin: Foaming liquid with ingredients such as salicylic acid, glycolic acid, etc. will be beneficial to clean your skin from dirt and oil.
- Dry Skin: A cream or balm formula with hydrating ingredients such as botanical oils, glycerin, and ceramides
- Sensitive skin or any type of skin: Micellar water is beneficial as it will trap impurities and keep your skin clean without making it dry.
Step 2: Toning
This step is also known as the “treating” step as it makes your skin healthy by adding beneficial ingredients to your skin routine, balancing your pH, and preventing skin aging.
This step includes using different types of skin products in a sequence so that your skin can get essential nutrients and doesn’t get damaged.
It is recommended to apply toners with clean hands on your face.
So, let’s start with the sequence of these skin products.
After cleansing, you should use toner, as it will make your skin bright, balance pH, and make it active and glowing.
For different skin types, you should look for different types of ingredients in your toner:
- For oily skin, use astringents such as alcohol.
- For sensitive or dry skin, use hydrating ingredients such as glycerin.
- For acne-prone skin, you should prefer toners with hydroxy acids.
- For any type of skin, use toners with antioxidants or hydration boosters.
Serums are powerful skin products that can protect your skin from dark spots and wrinkles. Using them will save your skin from different types of skin issues.
Most dermatologists have recommended that a person use an antioxidant serum (containing Vitamin C) in the morning.
You can use different types of serums if you are facing multiple skin issues. Let’s see which type of serum is best for which issue.
- Hyaluronic acid is best to keep your skin moisturized.
- Vitamin C will decrease dark spots and brighten your skin.
- Retinol, peptides, and vitamin B3 help prevent lines and skin sagging.
- Niacinamide and colloidal sulfur improve acne and calm redness.
Eye cream is exceptionally beneficial to treat the areas around your eyes, which age faster than your other skin.
For applying eye cream, you should tap the formula around your delicate eye skin with your ring finger.
Different formulas are best for different eye issues, so let’s have a look at them.
- For treating dark circles, use vitamin C or niacinamide.
- For puffiness, use caffeine.
- For wrinkles and sagging, use peptides and retinol.
Step 3: Moisturizing
In this last step, you should aim to keep your skin hydrated. For it, you have to use different moisturizers, sunscreen, and night creams as they can keep your skin moisturized.
Let’s discuss them in detail.
Face moisturizers will keep your skin hydrated and soft. They are a must in their skincare routine, so never ignore them.
Different moisturizer formulas are best for different skin types.
- For dry skin, a rich cream with ceramides, humectants, emollients, and occlusives is best.
- For oily and acne-prone skin, use light lotions or gel-based formulas.
- For sensitive skin, use hypoallergenic formulas.
Sunscreen is the last step of the morning facial care routine. No matter if you are going outside or remaining in your home, sunscreen is a must for making your skin healthy and saving it from harmful UV lights.
You should apply sunscreen to your face, back hands, and neck 30 minutes before going outside.
Different types of sunscreens are best for different skin types.
- For sensitive skin, use mineral sunscreens.
- For oily skin, use oil-free gel formulas.
- For darker skin, use chemical sunscreens.
- For dry skin, never use gel or spray sunscreens with alcohol.
Night Cream is the last step in the nighttime skincare routine. This cream will keep your skin moisturized and contain active ingredients to prevent aging.
This is the seven-step skincare routine that will help you keep your skin beautiful and prevent aging and other skin issues.
Do remember that every skin routine takes time (probably two to three months) before showing results.
So, remain patient and consistent with your skincare routine to get your desired results.