Nouns that start with J have a prominent significance in the vocabulary. You can hardly find a comprehensive collection of nouns starting with J, together with definitions, synonyms, and examples. But now you’ve reached the right place; you’ll find all of these in this article.
We’ll start by talking about what nouns are. Nouns are words that identify everything (general/specific). How? The answer is by giving these objects a proper name. The nouns can help a listener understand exactly what you’re saying to him or her. The same is applicable to nouns that start with J. The magic of nouns is that once you say a noun a picture of that object will come into your mind immediately. I hope you’ve grasped the fundamentals of nouns.
Now we’ll go into the world of nouns beginning with J. Don’t forget to read the entire article if you want to learn more about nouns. We’ll explain the nouns that start with J in such a way that you’ll remember them for the rest of your life. Let’s get right to the point without wasting any time.
You Might Also Like:
Common Nouns That Start with J
From a long list of nouns, we’ve chosen the most common nouns that start with J. These are the nouns that we always use in our phrases. Let’s discuss them.
- Definition: an outer shirt with sleeves and a fastening down the front that reaches either the waistline or the hips
- Synonyms: wrapper, sheath, cover
- Example: He was looking handsome in a leather jacket.
- Definition: personal ornaments, such as necklaces, rings, or bracelets, that are typically made from or contain jewels and precious stones
- Synonyms: gems, precious stones, trinkets
- Example: She posted a detailed video on her diamond jewelry collection.
- Definition: a liquid-holding and pouring cylindrical container with a handle and a lip
- Synonyms: jar, flask, vessel
- Example: I put a jug filled with juice on the table near her bed.
- Definition: the liquid derived from or found in fruits and vegetables
- Synonyms: liquid, fluid, extract
- Example: After the surgery, he was allowed to take the juice.
- Definition: the act of moving from one location to another
- Synonyms: trip, tour, drive, ride
- Example: The journey started with excitement to explore the new places.
- Definition: a salaried profession with a regular schedule
- Synonyms: position, post, situation
- Example: The Company offered him a job with medical facilities.
- Definition: a person who engages in jogging as a kind of physical activity
- Synonyms: contestant, carrier, racer
- Example: In morning, the jogger came daily to the park.
- Definition: each of the top and lower bone elements in vertebrates that make up the mouth’s framework and house the teeth
- Synonyms: maxilla, mandible, jawbone
- Example: After laughter, his jaw was hurting.
- Definition: a compact, tough four-wheel-drive vehicle, notably one employed by the military
- Synonyms: bronco, blazer, scout
- Example: He saved a major part of his revenue to buy a new jeep.
- Definition: a broad cylindrical container constructed of glass or ceramic with a lid that is used mostly for food storage
- Synonyms: pot, crock, flask
- Example: She kept the small fishes in a glass jar.
Positive Nouns That Start with J
Positive words have the ability to instantaneously raise someone’s mood, and same applies on the positive nouns. Here is the list of positive nouns that start with J.
- Definition: the quality of being lawfulness
- Synonyms: fairness, fair play, equity
- Example: The mother appealed to the government for the justice for her son.
- Definition: a massive cash prize in a game or lottery, particularly one that builds up until it is won
- Synonyms: kitty, pool, pot, bank, bonanza
- Example: They won the jackpot in the lottery today.
- Definition: a strong sense of pleasure and happiness
- Synonyms: delight, happiness, bliss
- Example: He started dancing in the joy, on the birth of his first baby.
- Definition: a beautiful shrub or climber plant native to the Old World that yields fragrant white, pink, or yellow flowers
- Synonyms: flower, dandelion, crocus
- Example: The jasmine is the national flower of Pakistan.
- Definition: a state or trait of being merry
- Synonyms: cheer, gladness, brilliance
- Example: What I admire the most about her is the constant jolliness on her face.
- Definition: a feeling of immense joy and victory
- Synonyms: exultation, triumph, elation
- Example: When I held the trophy, a surge of jubilation rushed over me.
- Definition: a pleasurable brief visit or journey
- Synonyms: trip, outing, expedition
- Example: Our short jaunt of Turkey was over.
- Definition: someone who runs a small business or sells exclusively to shops and agencies
- Synonyms: broker, operator, seller
- Example: The head jobber made a hasty move to enlist new assistance.
- Definition: a massive person or object
- Synonyms: huge, vast, heavy, blockbuster
- Example: The trophy-holder in the contest for biggest pumpkin was a jumbo that weighed in at over a hundred kilos.
- Definition: a brief period of time
- Synonyms: soon, in a moment, in a trice
- Example: He promised to come back in a jiffy.
Nouns That Start with J to Describe a Person
Some J nouns, can used to identify a person. And a list of nouns that start with J to describe a person is given below. Let’s dive into the list without any delay.
- Definition: a person or business who manufactures or sells jewelry or diamonds
- Synonyms: goldsmith, silversmith, horologist
- Example: The jeweler made some suggestions for the necklace’s design.
- Definition: a person who enjoys making jokes
- Synonyms: comedian, comic, humorist
- Example: We were all laughing so hard because of the joker.
- Definition: a person with a low standing or rank in comparison to others
- Synonyms: inferior, lower-ranking, lesser in standard
- Example: He works as a junior in my office.
- Definition: a person or group of individuals whose traditional faith is Judaism and who can trace their ancestors back to Abraham through the ancient Hebrew people of Israel
- Synonyms: hebrew, Israelite, zionist
- Example: There was only one Jew among all the Muslims in the religious gathering.
- Definition: a building’s caretaker or doorkeeper
- Synonyms: caretaker, doorman, custodian
- Example: The janitor of the company must be a strong man.
- Definition: a person appointed by the government to decide matters in a court of law
- Synonyms: justice, magistrate, law lord
- Example: While waiting for the decision, everyone in the court was staring at the judge’s face.
- Definition: a person with a specific career or position
- Synonyms: worker, employee, hireling
- Example: After being a jobholder, he is now supporting his family.
- Definition: a person who makes a case for or against a policy or institution
- Synonyms: apologist, vindicator, defender
- Example: God is justifier and just for everyone.
- Definition: a person who has an obsessive or compulsive dependency on something
- Synonyms: addict, doper, druggie
- Example: He is a junkie of alcohol for the past two years.
- Definition: a writer for newspapers, periodicals, or news websites, or a person who prepares news for broadcast
- Synonyms: reporter, newsman, columnist
- Example: This journalist publishes authentic news.
Nouns That Start with J for Kindergarten
We utilize nouns practically every time we say/write something. This section contains nouns starting with J for kindergarten which are very easy. Let’s discuss them in detail one by one.
- Definition: a place where components of an object are connected
- Synonyms: junction, juncture, link, linkage
- Example: His arm bone was fractured from joint.
- Definition: as a kind of physical exercise, the action of running at a steady, leisurely pace
- Synonyms: dashing, tripping, galloping
- Example: The important part of his routine is jogging.
- Definition: a region of land in the tropics that has been covered with dense forest and tangled vegetation
- Synonyms: forest, wild, the bush
- Example: The jungle appears to be terrifying at night.
- Definition: a state or a sensation of being envious
- Synonyms: envy, desire, doubt
- Example: Jealousy will destroy you from the inside out.
- Definition: a flavored dessert created by heating and then cooling a liquid containing gelatin or another gelatin-like setting agent in a dish until it sets into a semi-solid, slightly elastic mass
- Synonyms: clot, congeal, congeal
- Example: She garnished the sweet dish with the jelly.
- Definition: slang something that is commonly and legally used as a medium of commerce, a measure of value, or a form of payment (such as stamped metal or printed paper)
- Synonyms: change, coin, currency
- Example: I’d buy that dress, but I don’t have jack right now.
- Definition: something said to make someone laugh or amuse them, especially a narrative with a witty punch line
- Synonyms: jest, quip, pleasantry
- Example: I was not in the mood to tell jokes and make them laugh.
- Definition: a pair of denim or other cotton-based casual trousers that can withstand a lot of wear and tear
- Synonyms: denims, cut-offs, wranglers
- Example: His jeans didn’t go with his top.
- Definition: the act of pushing upwards with one’s legs and feet from a surface
- Synonyms: leap, bound, skip
- Example: When he took a large jump, he lost his balance.
- Definition: rough strand derived from the stems of a tropical Old World plant and used to make string and rope, as well as sacking and matting
- Synonyms: cannabis, flax, fiber
- Example: Dundee’s staple industry is the connected jute industry.
Useful List of Nouns That Start with J
Below is a list of nouns beginning with J that are necessary to make your sentences more solid and appealing.
- Definition: a hot beverage prepared with tree beans
- Synonyms: coffee, café, brew
- Example: I’m craving a cup of java.
- Definition: a point at which two or more objects come together
- Synonyms: joint, link, bond, union
- Example: There is a river at the junction of two cities.
- Definition: a craft device with perforated cards that facilitates the weaving of figured and brocaded fabrics
- Synonyms: applique, back-strap, jacquard loom
- Example: A carpet with cut loops of pile woven on a jacquard loom was so beautiful.
- Definition: the ability to make well-thought-out decisions or reach reasonable conclusions
- Synonyms: discernment, perception, sagacity
- Example: After you’ve met her, don’t pass judgment on her.
- Definition: a free-swimming marine coelenterate with a transparent gelatinous bell-or saucer-shaped body with stinging tentacles around the edge
- Synonyms: doormat, reed, wimp
- Example: Jellyfish stings are quite severe.
- Definition: the act of demonstrating that something is correct or appropriate
- Synonyms: rationalization, explanation, premise
- Example: Please provide me the explanation in a concise manner, without any lengthy justification.
- Definition: the activity or profession of writing for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or preparing news to be broadcast
- Synonyms: the print media, reporting, the press
- Example: We are working on pop journalism for two years.
- Definition: a low-spirited condition or spell
- Synonyms: dejection, depression, unhappiness
- Example: There was a strange joylessness as a result of the tragedy in gathering.
- Definition: a coarse dark brown sugar produced in India by evaporating palm tree sap
- Synonyms: brown sugar, domino sugar, raw cane sugar
- Example: The cons of jaggery are less than white sugar.
- Definition: a fast-moving stream of liquid or gas driven through a tiny hole
- Synonyms: squirt, spray, fountain
- Example: A jet of hot water splashed him in the hand.
Proper Nouns That Start with J
If you’ve been searching for some proper nouns starting with J? Then look no further. Following are 10 such J nouns for you.
- Definition: a country in East Asia formed of a group of islands
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Japan is one of the most developed countries in the world.
- Definition: a country in Western Asia
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Jordan is home to more than 100,000 archaeological, religious and tourist sights.
- Definition: an island country in the Caribbean
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Bolt, the fastest runner in the world, is from Jamaica.
- Definition: one of the most common names for boys in many English-speaking countries
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Jack is a very funny guy.
- Definition: primarily a male name of Hebrew origin that means God Is Gracious
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: John is very helpful in our class.
- Definition: a common American, Scottish, Irish and English surname
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Michael Jackson is my favorite singer.
- Definition: a feminine given name
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Jane looks beautiful in that dress.
- Definition: first used as diminutive of the name Jane
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Jenny is the manager of the office.
- Definition: a girl’s name of Latin origin meaning “God is gracious”
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Joanna got her driver’s license yesterday.
- Definition: a common masculine given name
- Synonyms: (none)
- Example: Joseph got married with her loving girlfriend last month.
Unusual Nouns That Start with J
The words we do not use on a regular basis fall under the same umbrella as the important nouns. Some unusual nouns with letter J are listed below.
- Definition: a rusted-out vintage vehicle
- Synonyms: beater, clunker, crate
- Example: They finally got rid of their old Junker and replaced it with a nice new automobile.
- Definition: a messy or disorganized collection of items
- Synonyms: clutter, mess, confusion
- Example: The books were thrown about in a jumble.
- Definition: a jazz musician who is male
- Synonyms: bluesman, singer, songwriter
- Example: For a Manhattan jazzman with too many admirers and a gambler manager, music comes first.
- Definition: a long-sleeved knitted garment worn over the upper body
- Synonyms: blouse, polo, pullover
- Example: There is too cold outside, you must wear a jersey.
- Definition: the sixth month of the year, and the first month of summer in the polar regions
- Synonyms: spring month, summer month, month of roses
- Example: In our country, the survival in June is hard.
- Definition: a group of persons (usually twelve) sworn to provide a decision in a judicial case based on evidence presented to them in court
- Synonyms: peers, judges, board
- Example: The decision of the jury is considered as final.
- Definition: a European music form marked by the usage of guitars and variable-pitch drums and popular among the Yoruba in Nigeria.
- Synonyms: amulet, mascot, mojo
- Example: The musician played the juju and we all started dancing.
- Definition: the authority to make legal decisions and judgments on behalf of the government
- Synonyms: control, power, authority
- Example: The offenders were not subject to the jurisdiction of the English court.
- Definition: ludicrous language, conduct, or beliefs that go counter to common sense
- Synonyms: applesauce, balderdash, fiddle
- Example: Don’t give me that jazz about how you could be unaware that it was illegal.
- Definition: a dog-like wild animal found in Africa and southern Asia that consumes animals that have died or been killed by others
- Synonyms: brush wolf, dingo, lobo
- Example: A jackal is a foraging animal that feeds on decaying meat.
More Nouns That Start with J
Following are some uncommon noun words that start with J, but their significance of cannot be underestimated. Let’s have a look at these noun words starting with J.
- Definition: a specific point in time or events
- Synonyms: time, moment, stage
- Example: It’s impossible to determine whether this upturn can be sustained at this juncture.
- Definition: one who can retain numerous objects in the air at the same time by tossing and catching them alternately
- Synonyms: magician, swindler, contortionist
- Example: The playgroup students were amazed to see the acts of the juggler.
- Definition: the state of being jobless
- Synonyms: discharge, dismissal, removal
- Example: Public outrage against joblessness is increasing.
- Definition: the ability to make people laugh
- Synonyms: comedy, drollness, humor
- Example: Jocularity is a talent that can only be acquired by those who are gifted.
- Definition: a mild ringing sound, similar to that produced when metal objects are shaken together
- Synonyms: clink, chink, tinkle
- Example: He heard the jingle of coins in his coat’s pocket.
- Definition: a person who is unable to make excellent decisions because to a lack of common sense or judgment
- Synonyms: fool, ninny, stupid
- Example: How can you give him this responsibility, he is a jackass.
- Definition: a ride undertaken for the fun of it
- Synonyms: amusement, enjoyment, relaxation
- Example: For me, flying in a jet will always be a joyride.
- Definition: a sarcastically rude comment
- Synonyms: taunt, insult, mockery
- Example: He made a public jeer at me that I will never forget.
- Definition: a system of courts that adjudicates legal disputes/disputes and interprets, defends, and implements the law
- Synonyms: court, judges, tribunal
- Example: His matter is now in hands of judiciary.
- Definition: a person who serves on a jury
- Synonyms: hearer, peer, judge
- Example: The statement of one juror was different from others in jury.
Nouns That Start with J – Full List (170 words)
We have explained above nouns that start with in detail. You can go over them and mentally revise their definitions, synonyms, and instances below. At the same time, learn some new J nouns by yourself.
Final Thoughts on Nouns That Start with J
We appreciate your taking the time to read the entire article. We believe this will be beneficial to you because having access to so many nouns that start with J in one place is incredible. From now on, in your vocabulary list, there will be the addition of more nouns starting with J.
Are you now excited to get more benefit from this article? There is only one goal in mind: to mentally memorize this list of nouns beginning with J. The assignment for you is straightforward: simply practice speaking, reading, or writing these nouns.
What are the advantages of doing so? Allow me to share some information with you. You will be able to use these nouns that start with J in phrases in their right and precise locations without making any mistakes. This can help you become more self-assured and successful in life.