Here we are going to provide you with a list of verbs that start with S. Because the letter “S” is one of the most commonly used letters in the alphabet, it’ll almost certainly appear in your next short tale or poetry.
Making a list of intriguing phrases you’d like to use in your work is one of the finest strategies to improve your vocabulary. You can find action words that start with S and use them to improve the quality of your document.
All the verbs beginning with S are divided into different sections according to their meaning and usage. It will help you to search for the desired word in minimum time.
When you’re stuck again, look down at your list and see which words jump off the page and onto your computer screen. Explore verbs that start with S to add to your list of great words. So, the wait is finally over. Look down on all the verbs that start with S and enhance your vocabulary and skills.
Common Verbs That Start with S
Here is the list of the common verbs that start with S. You might be familiar with most of these verbs starting with S. Look upon these verbs which might be helpful for you.
- Definition: to pronounce words or sounds, to express a thought, opinion, or suggestion, or to state a fact or instruction
- Synonyms: speak, voice, utter
- Example: ‘Thank-you’, he said.
- Definition: adapt or be in a position where one’s weight is supported by one’s buttocks rather than one’s feet and one’s back is upright.
- Synonyms: perch, take a seat
- Example: At dinner, I sat close to him.
- Definition: the ability to perceive with one’s eyes
- Synonyms: discernment, perception
- Example: She could see the azure water in the distance.
- Definition: giving or handing over (something) in exchange for money.
- Synonyms: sell, trade
- Example: They had sold their house.
- Definition: put, lie, or stand (anything) in a specific location or posture.
- Synonyms: place, put
- Example: Delaney set the mug of green tea on the table.
- Definition: to destroy something on purpose
- Synonyms: destroy, damage, obstruct
- Example: South African electricity cables were sabotaged by rebel soldiers.
- Definition: to droop or hang in an unbalanced manner
- Synonyms: sink, to droop
- Example: She sagged because of sleep deprivation.
- Definition: to gently move, float, or glide across water or air
- Synonyms: crew, helm
- Example: Ian took us out on the lake to go sailing.
- Definition: to make a respectful gesture by placing your right hand on your brow
- Synonyms: tribute, greet
- Example: He saluted a higher-ranking officer.
- Definition: to stroll or walk
- Synonyms: amble, stroll
- Example: Adam sauntered into the house.
Positive Verbs That Start with S
Just give a look at this list of positive verbs that start with S. It will help you to enhance your writing as well as your speaking skills.
- Definition: a religious ceremony might be used to legitimize or tie something.
- Synonyms: approve, sanction
- Example: The rite of marriage sanctifies their love.
- Definition: to make a happy, kind, or amused expression with the corners of the mouth turned up and the front teeth displayed.
- Synonyms: grin, beam
- Example: He was smiling, wide-eyed, and beaming.
- Definition: keep (someone or anything) safe or save (someone or something) from injury or danger
- Synonyms: liberate, reclaim
- Example: He was called in to save the club from going bankrupt.
- Definition: to fulfill someone’s expectations, wants, or desires (someone)
- Synonyms: please, content
- Example: I’ve always been satisfied with my employment.
- Definition: be vivacious and funny
- Synonyms: brilliant, dazzling
- Example: He began to sparkle after a glass of wine.
- Definition: playing in a vibrant, enthusiastic manner
- Synonyms: caper, play
- Example: The kids were sporting around in the water.
- Definition: be filled with feelings
- Synonyms: gleaming, dazzling
- Example: When she spoke about family values, her eyes shined brightly.
- Definition: to defend against dangers
- Synonyms: safeguard, fortify
- Example: The committee is concerned to secure the economy against too much foreign ownership.
- Definition: to resolve or come to an agreement on something (an argument or problem)
- Synonyms: resolve, sort out
- Example: The labor unions have settled an agreement with Hollywood producers after a year-long struggle.
- Definition: to assist, particularly financially
- Synonyms: assistance, help
- Example: The university support underprivileged students to pursue their aim.
Verbs That Start with S to Describe a Person
The list of verbs that start with S to describe a person is mentioned below. This will help you to improve your writing skills.
- Definition: to bestow the title of the saint upon; regard as a saint
- Synonyms: holy man, paragon
- Example: The sandy shores of the River Nid, where Holy Olaf’s bones were laid to rest before he had been sainted.
- Definition: (someone) who retires with a pension
- Synonyms: retire, pension
- Example: His pilot’s license was revoked, and he was declared superannuated.
- Definition: to be frugal
- Synonyms: economize, scrimp
- Example: I have scrimped and saved to ensure that you have an excellent education.
- Definition: to talk but make no sense
- Synonyms: talk
- Example: What you slabbering about?
- Definition: hurriedly and carelessly write (anything)
- Synonyms: scribble, doodle
- Example: Peter scrawled his mark.
- Definition: fiercely remonstrate with or chastise (someone)
- Synonyms: rebuke, reprove
- Example: Anna was taken away by her mother, who scolded her for her terrible behavior.
- Definition: to be in the state of rest when your eyes are closed, your body is not active, and your mind is unconscious
- Synonyms: rest, go to bed
- Example: She is sleeping in the next room.
- Definition: to make someone fearful or concerned
- Synonyms: panic, frighten
- Example: I’m sorry if I scared you; I didn’t mean to.
- Definition: make (hair) shiny and silky
- Synonyms: polish, silky, shiny
- Example: His black hair was sleeked down.
- Definition: to move, put, pass, or do something else in a sneaky or evasive manner
- Synonyms: creep, slink, slip
- Example: He sneaked the revolver inside his pocket without being noticed.
Action Verbs That Start with S
We are providing the list of action verbs that start with S. These action words that start with S can be used to describe any action.
- Definition: (of a person) let out a loud cry, usually to indicate strong emotion.
- Synonyms: yell, cry
- Example: He shouted for ecstasy.
- Definition: arouse a considerable deal of irritability in (someone).
- Synonyms: astonishment, devastation
- Example: The revelation shattered many hopes.
- Definition: break (anything) violently into bits
- Synonyms: shattered, break
- Example: To get into the automobile, the burglar smashed a window.
- Definition: slope or lean in a specific direction; deviate or cause to diverge from the vertical or horizontal
- Synonyms: slop, tilt
- Example: A plowed field slanted up to the horizon.
- Definition: go down below the surface of something, especially of a liquid; become submerged
- Synonyms: drop, fall
- Example: The trawler sank, killing all six crew members.
- Definition: to fall or be hurled in a shower (of a large number of little items)
- Synonyms: rain, fall, drizzle
- Example: Shards of broken glass showered down on me.
- Definition: (of a structure or area of land) vibrate or tremor
- Synonyms: tremble, vibrate
- Example: Buildings in California shook, and tremors were detected in Nevada.
- Definition: to decide not to pursue (a project or goal), either temporarily or permanently.
- Synonyms: stay, suspend
- Example: Plans to restart the school has been shelved.
- Definition: push (someone or something) roughly
- Synonyms: push, thrust
- Example: Soldiers began shoving people out of the path.
- Definition: wash or clean (anything, notably the hair)
- Synonyms: Bath, cleanse
- Example: Rod was shampooing his hair in the bath.
English Verbs That Start with S
The list of verb words that start with S will help you to find appropriate verb for your usage. So, why you been waiting for so long? Just look at this article and use verbs that start with letter S to get a better understanding of your work.
- Definition: push or pull (a train or a section of a train) from the mainline to a siding or from one rail line to another
- Synonyms: avert, deviate
- Example: Their locomotive had been shunted into a siding.
- Definition: When a person trembles convulsively, it is usually due to fear or revulsion
- Synonyms: shake, shiver
- Example: She still shuddered at the notion of him.
- Definition: to divide something by cutting or slicing it, especially abruptly and brutally.
- Synonyms: cut off, cleave
- Example: The skull was severed from the body.
- Definition: to speak in a scornfully contemptuous or mocking manner to someone or about something
- Synonyms: mocking, deride
- Example: Patrick has stated that he scoffed at soppy love sequences in movies.
- Definition: to condense (anything) by crushing or squeezing it.
- Synonyms: rumple, smash, crush
- Example: Rose scrunched handkerchief into a ball.
- Definition: to find, collect, or hold on to anything by scratching or groping with one’s fingers.
- Synonyms: scratch, grope
- Example: She scrabbled the grassy slope, eager for a sale.
- Definition: to (cause to) become loose
- Synonyms: loosen, relax
- Example: Slacken the reins or you’ll hurt the horse’s mouth.
- Definition: a quick, strong heat that burns or scorches the surface of (anything)
- Synonyms: scorch, burn
- Example: The water became so hot that it seared our mouth.
- Definition: (of a liquid) slowly flow or seep through a porous material or microscopic holes
- Synonyms: ooze, exude
- Example: Water began to seep through the bottoms of his footwear.
- Definition: (of a human or a small animal) move quickly with short, rapid steps
- Synonyms: scuttle, scamper
- Example: The mice scurried across the carpet.
Useful List of Verbs That Start with S
Here is the list of useful verbs beginning with S. You can find different verbs in the following list of verbs that start with S, having different meanings and synonyms.
- Definition: to use a razor to remove the hair on a man’s face
- Synonyms: crop, trim
- Example: He showered, shaved, and ate breakfast.
- Definition: to carry out tasks or provide services for (another person or an organization)
- Synonyms: work, help
- Example: He served in the army for 22 years.
- Definition: cut a long, thin slash
- Synonyms: cut, slash
- Example: If you don’t tell me the truth, I’ll slit your throat.
- Definition: (of a surface or line) to slant up or down from a horizontal or vertical line.
- Synonyms: inclination, slant
- Example: The garden sloped down to a brook.
- Definition: to violently murder (a person or an animal)
- Synonyms: assassination, kill
- Example: County slew the monster.
- Definition: to go along lightly, hopping or bouncing from one foot to the other.
- Synonyms: caper, prancing
- Example: She began to skip along the route.
- Definition: the act of causing something to move or separate
- Synonyms: part, slip
- Example: Both owners were attempting to separate their pets.
- Definition: look for something attentively and thoroughly by looking or searching in various ways.
- Synonyms: hunt, look, and explore
- Example: I searched amid the rocks but found nothing.
- Definition: perceive or detect the odor or aroma of something (something)
- Synonyms: scent, fragrance, and whiff
- Example: I believe I can smell something burning.
- Definition: Giving a lengthy, loud, piercing cry or cries conveying strong emotion or anguish
- Synonyms: yell, screech
- Example: They may hear him scream in pain.
Unusual Verbs That Start with S to Boost Vocabulary
The unusual verbs that start with S, are finally documented in this article. They are unusual but necessary to boost your skills. Check out these verbs to get more understanding of different verbs and their usage.
- Definition: to walk by dragging one’s feet along the ground or by not fully lifting one’s feet off the ground
- Synonyms: shamble, stumble
- Example: I shuffled to the edge of the steep slope in my skis.
- Definition: to cover or mark something with a greasy or sticky material in a haphazard or negligent manner
- Synonyms: smudge, stain
- Example: His skin was smeared with grime.
- Definition: with a sharp or pointed object, score or mark the surface of (anything).
- Synonyms: score, scrape
- Example: They police scratched on his car as a revenge.
- Definition: burden (someone) with a difficult task or obligation
- Synonyms: burden, encumber
- Example: He saddled $12 million in loans.
- Definition: to avoid something
- Synonyms: avoid, evade
- Example: He shunned trendy culture.
- Definition: to extract (metal) from its ore using a heating and melting process
- Synonyms: melt, cleanse
- Example: In a blast furnace, the ores are smelted.
- Definition: to cut anything with a broad, sweeping motion, as with a knife or sword
- Synonyms: cut, gash
- Example: We hiked behind the trackers slashing the bush ahead for what seemed like hours.
- Definition: to reject something as unimportant is to use the word dismiss.
- Synonyms: dismiss, disdain
- Example: The chief executive shrugged off the criticism.
- Definition: allow (leaves or fruit) to fall to the ground (of a tree or other plant)
- Synonyms: cast, mold
- Example: In the winter, both types shed their leaves.
- Definition: to take something quickly and keep or hold it
- Synonyms: hold, capture
- Example: She jumped up and seized his wrist.
More Verbs That Start with S
Here you can find more verbs that start with the letter R, which will help to enhance your vocabulary as well as writing speaking skills. Let’s look at these S verbs.
- Definition: using a needle and thread or a sewing machine to join, fasten, or mend (anything)
- Synonyms: stitch, embroider
- Example: She hemmed the border and sewed the seams.
- Definition: carefully examine all components of (anything) to find a feature
- Synonyms: investigate, study
- Example: He raised his glasses to scan the coastline.
- Definition: to make musical sounds with one’s voice, particularly with words put to a tune
- Synonyms: chant, intone
- Example: Alice sang to the infant.
- Definition: manage to see or observe (someone or something); catch an initial glimpse of
- Synonyms: glimpse, see
- Example: Tell me when you sight Tower Bridge.
- Definition: choose deliberately as the best or most appropriate
- Synonyms: choose, pick
- Example: Students must select their GCSE courses.
- Definition: to request (something) from another person
- Synonyms: request, solicitation
- Example: He sought assistance from the authorities.
- Definition: with a bullet or an arrow, kill or hurt (a person or an animal)
- Synonyms: hit, hurt
- Example: He got shot in the leg during an armed robbery
- Definition: for giving a certain shape or form to
- Synonyms: form, fashion, and make
- Example: The movement of water through limestone shapes most caves.
- Definition: to give the idea of being something or of possessing a certain attribute
- Synonyms: appear, look
- Example: He seemed to enjoy the party.
- Definition: travel or induce to move from one place to another, particularly over a short space.
- Synonyms: move, carry, transfer
- Example: A team from the electricity company arrived to shift the cables away from the building.
Verbs That Start with S – Full List (283 Words)
Full list of verbs that start with S is mentioned below. You can find and use these verbs according to your requirements. The list of verbs gives you an immense understanding of verbs and how they are used according to the situations. So, why we are waiting for anything else? Check out the list of verbs that start with S.
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with S
Thank you for finishing this article. So, did you pick up any new verbs or not? You most certainly did, in my opinion. These are some of the verbs that start with S, however, they are by no means exhaustive. It’s amazing how many verbs start with S there are, but few people are aware of all of them. I am confident that if you memorize these verbs, you will notice a significant improvement in your English skills.
This article on verbs beginning with S will help you to find immense verbs having different meanings, synonyms, and examples. It will help you a great deal.
Continue reading, and you will undoubtedly be able to grow your vocabulary and improve your writing skills. I hope you found this list of verbs starting with S useful.